Sunday, April 11, 2010

My Viking Soul is Unsettled


This morning, at 2:22 AM my first thought was that my feet were cold.
Then, I made a mental to do list for the next few weeks.
Then, I briefly considered how much easier my life would be if distances didn't need to be traveled.
Then, I thought about Norway.

I thought about how really Norway shouldn't mean to me what it does. I don't think it is literally possible to love the ocean because my ancestors did. I don't really believe that my lungs could want to breath Norwegian air or that my feet could know the feel of the roads in Farsund any better than the roads in Staten Island.

But somehow, tonight with morning creeping closer and closer I thought about Norway and I cried. Its been too many years since I have slept under a down comforter that smells like the sea. It is the first place I felt my comfort zone stretch, and now I want to go back to feel that way again.

No comments: