Sunday, February 15, 2009

February the Fourteenth,

I know that the idea for this day is to remember all of the love you do have.

I don't like that all it really does is remind us of all the love we don't. I told a friend yesterday that "Jesus is my boyfriend" theology is the most effective way to reach adolescent girls because romantic love is the most important gap in their lives, and I was horrified to realize its true. (This is a mark of how half the time I say things I really do mean and don't even realize.)

Because the facts are these - I love that I wear sweatpants until 4 o'clock every Saturday. I love that sometimes I would rather sit in my room listening to music and reading books then spending time with other people. I love that I can laugh at my own jokes. I love that I love so many people. I love that Sundays are important to me. I love that my best friend is four years old.

I love these things. Its taken me 21 years to do. I shouldn't mourn the fact that no one else loves those things as much as I think they should.

And that's why I don't like Valentine's Day.

No comments: