Thursday, October 29, 2009

I spent roughly three months in the third grade unable to sleep because I watched Jumanji (even though my mother told me not to). I used to set up an elaborate night light. I would take my Simba doll and put my desk lamp next to it and project a huge lion shadow on the wall. This lion was my form of protection but even then I couldn't shut my mind off.

Why? I don't know. Its the plight of the over imaginative child.

When I was fourteen, I stayed up for a week straight because I was convinced that the Al Qaeda was attacking RIGHT NOW and my family needed to move somewhere safe.

That was a particularly awful stage.

I've discovered something. There is always something to be afraid of at night. A lack of fear is probably the thing I covet most. When I inevitably fall asleep at night its because I lost focus for a minute and forgot to be scared. I'm always waiting for the one night when something will go wrong and I must be prepared.

CONSTANT VIGILANCE, extra points if you can name that character.

No comments: