Sunday, March 15, 2009

I found something I like about winter today,

I was riding in the back seat of a car and we didn't have any music. I was able to slump down and rest my forehead against the glass as we crested and descended hill after hill on our way home tonight. The glass was cold and it made me think of how long it will take for me to forget the way winter feels in your bones. I want it to melt away and I want to feel warm again.

But I was watching the sun set as the horizon morphed and changed. There was the strange grey film that always appears at night here. The lines on the road seemed to glow in the dark, and I could see the trees a few miles away. They were black and spindly against the reds and yellows of the sky which shocked me with its intensity. I could see them standing tall and firm reaching for the sky.

Suddenly in that moment I had the feeling I always have at camp. Or the feeling I had in London. The feeling that I would always like to stay here. Being here in western New York with the sun setting and the weather being surprisingly warm. With the trees reminding me that I should always be trying to be a little closer to God. I wouldn't have seen those trees if there had been leaves on them.

That is my post about winter.

No comments: