Wednesday, June 24, 2009

All I can think to say today

My basement smells damp.

I generally have a certain fondness for my basement. It has orange walls and pictures of flowers hanging up. The furniture is all a wickedly dark wood and I like it. The windows, however, are raised so that I can see a tiny piece of my driveway, and through this window the rain tends to leak.

The rain will leak in on summer days like this one. It has been raining on my island for what feels like ages. The sky may not have any blue left in it, so full of gray it has been. Yesterday I sat on my bed and watched the rain just fall. It wasn't the kind of rain that frightened. It was just there and I knew that it was keeping me inside.

My neighbor stood on his stoop with shorts on and a cigarette between his lips.

Thirteen dogs walked by in an hours time.

I don't know why its been raining so persistently, but I certainly wish it would stop.

No comments: