Friday, February 15, 2008

In which I like Pop Culture,

It's true.

I am twenty years old, and I can stand up and say that I am slightly addicted to pop culture.

Now, many people out there will be horrified that I actually care what is going on in Brangelina's life. That I have contemplated buying a "Save Britney" T-shirt from Perez Hilton's site. That I check Perez Hilton's site about once a day in order to stay current in the happenings of Hollywood.

But today someone said to me that Pop Culture is a complete waste. That I didn't realize its toxic affects because I was so totally immmersed in it.

For a second I had to stop and think to myself- is this true?

Then I embarked on an adventure of self-analysis. Was I wasting too much time reading about this cultural crap? Was I masking a true shallowness under a facade of healthy curiosity?

So I thought about who I was. The truth is I spend about five minutes a day catching up in things which most people would consider "pop culture". The rest of the day what am I doing? Well, I tend to spend a lot of my day spending time with the people around me and developing relationships.

Shallow? No.

Other parts of the day are spent doing my school work. Now, I am notorious for being incredibly laid back and seeming to be doing as little work as possible, but that doesn't mean I don't value the education I'm getting. I just choose to absorb information in a very different way than memorizing terms off of an index card. I learn it by observing things and listening and interacting.

Once again, I think its justifiable.

I also spend much of my day reading other things. I read tons of things that are not gossip sites. I read news articles and magazine entries and book after book after book. I have more random information in my head than most people could comprehend. Perhaps the pop culture is just giving me a good solid well rounded base.

Anyway, this person told me I shouldn't start a blog because I would have nothing to say.


Well I have a lot to say, so here I am.

1 comment:

Sophie said...

I'll write more later, but for right now, all I can say is "ouch."