Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Day that Wendy's Broke My Heart,

My grandmother, being the saintly woman of God that she is, yelled down to me this afternoon while I was watching Lost. She told me that Kari had asked her to go to Wendy's, was there anything I wanted.

Now, lately I have been trying to break my addiction to Diet Coke (and really artificial sweeteners in general) so we haven't had any Diet Coke in the house for the past week or so. However, when a girl's grandmother is making a Wendy's run, your instincts tend to take over.

While running up the stairs I was already yelling, "Yeah, gram do you think you could get me a large diet coke!" (Because guess what, its diet, and you can get a large if you want to.)

Coincidentally, Hannah was yelling the same thing at the same time I was. I was not the only one feeling the pains of withdrawal.

So for the next half hour I thought of the most glorious thing in the world. The large yellow cup which my grandmother would walk through the door with. Hannah and I actually had a long discussion about how the majority of the world just doesn't, shouldn't, couldn't possibly understand the joy of the ice cold diet coke.

Well, you can imagine that when gram's silver Honda civic pulled back in the driveway, Hannah and I were sitting on the stoop waiting for her. The ultimate summer indulgence was about to be had.

The first sip was not as I had imagined. Why, may you ask. Because it was thick, intensely sweet, and with the sour after taste I had long associated with things I had no business putting in my mouth. Yes, I had in my hand a large glass of regular Coke. Regular, full calorie Coke.

Hannah and I just looked at each other, and walked back inside.

5 comments:

Caitlin said...

REGULAR COKE IS SUPERIOR!!!
IT REIGNS SUPREME!!
THIS WAS A SIGN FROM GOD THAT YOU NEED TO CHANGE YOUR WAYS!!

Emily said...

AMEN!

Son-Ju said...

Uhmm...is that Wendy's fault or your g-ma's? Yeah, place blame where blame is due.

WickedWitty said...

Twas not my g-ma's! She swears she asked for diet, and she knows me. I can't imagine her making that mistake.

Son-Ju said...

Whatever, Wendy's is flawless.