Monday, June 16, 2008

"Let's just absorb," Sarah proclaimed as the train came to a stop.


There are people on this planet who spend thousands of dollars on plane tickets and traveling expenses to fly to New York City and do exactly what I did today for $6. Every time I come home I remember this, and every time I leave I forget.

Sarah (my trusty and true travel companion and fellow adventurer) and I left the island at a spur of the moment decision that today we needed to be at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. So we went. Because Sarah and I listen to the wind and go where we are needed.

We ate our sandwiches in Central Park and Sarah tortured some innocent birds. Kristin's cinnamon cookies went to great use as a snack for this one baby bird, but before the baby could get to it a sparrow came and grabbed it right up. I believe Sarah startled some of the people present by shouting, "YOU LITTLE BASTARD GET AWAY FROM HIM! LOOK AT THIS LINDSAY, NEVER TELL ME TO BE NICE TO ANIMALS AGAIN."

Another of my favorite Sarah quotes came a bit after that. I was waiting for her outside one of the park bathrooms and she came storming out and said, "Lets just go." I asked her what had happened and she said, "Well, I went into the stall and there was pee on the seat but no toilet paper, and then some girl went in after me so she probably thinks I peed on the seat. Also, there were two girls making out in there and it just wasn't working out for me."

We found out after awhile that the Met was actually closed (as it is every Monday, apparently) but this was for the best. Because God had a whole lot more planned for us this afternoon, and like the girls we are we took it all and ran. Because Sarah and Lindsay are not held back by silly things like calendars. The good time is with us wherever we go, you remember that now children.

So we took to meandering, because we're so good at that. We strolled through the park, and sat and looked good doing it. We sat by the fountain and I thought about how if I could choose to be one place forever it would be right there. We ran down Madison avenue in the pouring rain. I had hot subway air puff at my face and realized no one else understands that feeling but New Yorkers. I finally told someone about the thing I'm doing which nobody knows.

We sat in Union Square for a good hour, watching the people walk by. We drank our Venti Starbucks (because we are the kind of girls who get Venti's) and tried to pick out the strangest looking people. We finished the day in the Strand, where I could have spent the whole day, and where I will spend many more rainy afternoons.

I discovered several truths and shall document them here-
I love doing nothing in the city more than doing nothing anywhere else.
Sarah and I are always moving full speed and enthusiastically in the same direction.
Rain does not dampen our days.

No comments: