Friday, January 2, 2009

What to work on?

Stephen King told me that he likes to write about childhood and the healing power of the human imagination. I like this about Stephen King. I like that he was able to write multiple respectful articles about the Harry Potter books because he valued them for what they were. He didn't glorify them for being outstanding works of literature first, he glorified them for reminding people what it is they open new books for. The everlasting hope for the next great story.

The way Stephen King likes to write about imagination is the way I like to write about certain things as well. I like to write about summer, for instance. I like capture moments in the sun. I suppose there are certain winter scenes I like to capture as well. I like writing about Christmas trees, and I like writing about snow falls. But for me the magic ends once the snow is on the ground. Once everything is entombed I lose interest. I suppose its because then all I can do is think about the summer that is still so far away.

I like the slow pace that summer holds, but I dislike the same thing about winter. In the moments we pause in winter I feel we are empty. We are empty and searching to be filled up, but we're not sure anything could ever provide us with what we need. In summer we don't know if we will ever move forward and we are okay with that. In winter we don't know if we will ever move forward and we despair.

Because of these feelings I do things to provide joy in my life during the winter. I drove in a car with the top down in thirteen degree weather. I thought, "this is fun." I ran around a house in fourteen inches of snow in my bare feet on New Years Eve. I thought, "this is fun." If I can string together enough fun moments in winter, perhaps one day I will write about winter in the same way I write about summer. Perhaps the scenes which take place in hats and scarves will carry more magic than one ever finds in scenes of loneliness and yearning. These scenes always lead up to joyful meetings and overwhelming revelations, but those are always highlighted by sunlight.

I want to work on this in the months ahead.

No comments: